Thursday, November 26, 2009

After Dinner Brownies (aka Mint Brownies)


I LOVE Thanksgiving. There are few things better than hanging out with family, playing games and having only one item on the agenda: eating. I love most Thanksgiving staples (mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, yams, dinner rolls, whatever replaces turkey), but unfortunately for me, my least favorite pie of all time is a Thanksgiving must. Pumpkin pie is ok, but I can usually go with just a sliver or nothing at all. To ensure that this would not be my only sweet option this weekend, I whipped up my favorite brownie variation.

You may have noticed that I’m not much for sweets in general, hence the lack of dessert options on this blog thus far, but my good friend Aimee said I definitely needed some. When I do make desserts, there are a few criteria that I always require. First, the recipe has to be easy. Second, it has to be something a little unique. Third, it can’t be all chocolate. I’m not a huge chocolate fan for better or worse. That said these brownies are so good. They’ll be a hit every time, promise!

After Dinner Brownies (or Mint Brownies)

1 batch of your favorite brownie mix or a homemade recipe
1 10 oz. package of Andes Crème De Menthe Baking Chips

Follow instructions for combining ingredients for mix or recipe.

Add half of the baking chips and stir into mix.

Bake according to instructions.

As soon as brownies are fully cooked and out of the oven, sprinkle the rest of the baking chips on top and allow to melt.

Tips: These are so easy it’s almost impossible to mess up. However, if you don’t make brownies very often, pay careful attention to how many stirs the recipe can handle, then add the chips when you’re half way done stirring. Also, I recommend not spreading the chips around as they melt. This turns the green and brown swirls to plain old brown. Last but not least, I’ve experimented with other candy bits. They all taste good, but none of them melt on top as well. Try your favorite candy crumbles in the batter, but don’t bother trying to melt them on top at the end.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE brownies!!! maybe I'll try making some in my microwave...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about we extend this little Thanksgiving treat to Christmas? Eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. no problem andrea:) and i can't guarantee the results harald, but i think you should try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kitchen will be yours when you get here!!
    I've had these, they ARE exceptional. It's been too long since I've sampled them. :) But I well remember how terrific they were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops...I should have signed that comment.
    Yes, I'm new at this. :) Sandy Keele

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see I did not sign that. Sorry. It's me, the new kid on the block at this, Sandy Keele

    ReplyDelete
  7. What?? The one before did not post, so I wrote another, and then, boom, there they both show up.
    Makes me look like an idiot! I'll recover and try again someday.
    "Guess who"

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, no worries sandy! the comment functions are finicky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha..it's ok Mom. You'll get the hang of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete