Monday, March 15, 2010

Vegetable Chicken Bake with Morningstar Farms Grillers Chik'n Veggie Patties


It’s been too long. And I’ve been too busy! Tonight was the first night in a while that I’ve had time to cook. One would think I had several ideas stored up in my head. But I didn’t… All I had was a package of Morningstar Farms Grillers Chik’n Veggie Patties. Long name, simple concept.

I’m a huge fan of the original Grillers. They’re a great replacement for hamburgers, but they’re also really good in more than just a bun. I’ve fried and sliced them for salads, quesadillas and pasta. I’ve even ground them up and made a meatloaf (this was before the Grillers Crumbles came out). They’re just downright tasty. Which is why I was intrigued by the new chicken version. Could they possibly be as good?

Well, not quite. Obviously, they taste nothing like the originals, which are based on beef. On the other hand, they don’t taste anything like the Morningstar Farms Chik Patties either and by don’t taste anything like, I mean they aren’t as good. However the Chik Patties have a shameful amount of sodium and twice as many grams of carbs, so the new Chik’n Veggie Patties are at the very least a healthier offering. They’re meaty texture as well as their neutral (dare I say bland?) flavor, would work well as a replacement in a lot of chicken dishes.

As far as nutrition goes, these patties are ok. They sport only 3 grams of fat, none of which are saturated, 80 calories, no cholesterol, are fairly low in carbs and actually have 5 grams of fiber. Not bad. But it’s the same old tune with sodium (350 mg) and like most Morningstar Farms products, have a really long list of ingredients.

I bought the package at the ABC about two months ago and have been pondering over how to use them. I’d been thinking I’d turn them into a vegan chicken Caesar salad, but I had a huge salad for supper LAST night, so I just wasn’t feeling it. Since Donnie and I are doing the whole low carb thing right now, turning them into a pasta dish was not really an option (although it sounded so good!), so I decided to keep it simple.

Vegetables + Chik’n Veggie Patties + my oven = supper. To be totally honest though, I think it could have been a lot better. I would have tried again if I had more patties. I’ll give you the recipe I should have made the first time.

Chicken Vegetable Bake with Morningstar Farms Grillers Chik’n Veggie Patties
Serves 4

4 cups vegetables of your choice*
½ chopped red onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbls balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 package Chik’n Veggie Patties
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine vegetables, onion, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in large bowl and mix until all vegetables are evenly coated.


Place half of the vegetables in a round casserole dish. Layer all four chik’n patties on top and cover with the rest of the vegetables.

Cover with lid or foil and bake for 45 minutes.

*Feel free to use whatever vegetables you love or have on hand, but keep in mind that if they take longer to cook, they’ll need to be in smaller pieces. I used a combo of red potatoes, green beans, zucchini, broccoli and celery. The potatoes and green beans definitely were still a bit firm while the other veggies were very soft.

Tips: Although my oregano and basil balsamic vinegar was very delish, it isn’t a must. You could use a marinade or just a combo of your favorite herbs with some olive oil. You could even experiment with some fruit juices or infused oils. I wouldn’t say the options are ENDLESS, but there’s definitely room for experimentation.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this dish...it was good and made me feel ready to dominate P90X...

    ReplyDelete