Friday, August 19, 2011

Why are YOU a vegetarian?


Man, Have I been busy lately! I could give you a laundry list of why, but you probably don't care. I'll be sharing another TVP recipe soon, but until then, I thought I'd share this article. It highlights some interesting issues that may not be extremely pertinent to you (should all vegetarian inmates be accommodated?), but it's a good read, none the less.

Most interesting excerpt: “My belief in not hurting animals is more powerful than any religious belief.”

That's slightly offensive to me, but I have to admire the passion. And why are YOU a vegetarian? Is it for health reasons? The environment? A love of animals? Something else?

Jail Time Yields a Clash on Vegetarian Meals


3 comments:

  1. I totally assumed you were not keeping the blog since you moved, going to school and still working.
    But ta-dah, here it is! I'm so happy I looked. I'm vegetarian because...being raised one, it is really hard to put an animal part in your mouth and chew it up. It's rubbery and the whole time I'm thinking,'I'm eating flesh, tissue, muscle'. The word cannibal pops in the mind. Go ahead, laugh :)
    Hey, that last blog got me in the mood for lasagna. That dish makes me think of Colorado, I made it all the time there. I'm such a phase-cooker. I'm going to try your recipe. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, were you going to blog again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I became a vegetarian a little over 20 years ago. It was the result of reading a book by Linda Goodman, who was a writer of books on astrology. As the result of reading one of her final books, I decided to cut meat eating out of my diet. I originally had planned to gradually cut it out, by just eating poultry. Well, that didn't last long thanks to a music video by Lene Lovich and Nena Hagen that I happened to catch on MTV. So my conversion was due to being educated about the way our food becomes our food, and the decision that those things wouldn't be done on behalf of me.

    I am purposely not educating myself on the production of honey, or I'll have to go hide in a closet.

    -Stacey E.

    ReplyDelete